State of Rhode Island
Job title: Auditor
Company: State of Rhode Island
Job description: Class Definition
The Office of the Auditor General (OAG) is the State of Rhode Island’s legislative audit agency. We conduct financial audits, compliance audits, performance audits, and special project reviews to provide independent and reliable information to the General Assembly on a variety of topics including the State’s financial condition, its use of federal funds in compliance with federal law and regulations, and whether programs are operating efficiently and effectively. Our audits also provide valuable recommendations to help governmental agencies improve their operations and enhance financial and programmatic controls. Our audit reports enhance the accountability of State government by providing Rhode Island citizens with objective information on the operations of their State.
The OAG performs audits in accordance with Generally Accepted Auditing Standards and Government Auditing Standards as required by those standard setting organizations.
Auditors are responsible for the following:
- Follow instructions in performing audit testing assigned, including the evaluation and testing of controls.
- Prepare audit documentation that meets standards.
- Be able to research and understand audit and accounting standards.
- Communicate with auditees and members of audit team.
- Develop and draft audit findings and other required audit communications.
- Participate in audit meetings with auditee management.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Works under the general supervision of a superior who reviews work for conformance to well established procedures and regulations.
Illustrative Examples of Work Performed
Applicants must provide a resume and cover letter when applying.
Required Qualifications for Appointment
KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND CAPABILITIES:
- Independent work ethic, and a high level of personal self-motivation and personal character of the highest ethical standard.
- Ability to understand audit and accounting standards, federal regulations, state statutes and other laws and regulations.
- Ability to research and discuss audit issues, audit findings, compliance with laws
- Ability to write clear and concise communications.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and part of a team.
- To do related work as required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration with concentration in accounting.
Applicants must possess competent computer skills.
Audit or accounting experience through internship or previous work experience preferred.
Expected salary: $59640 per year
Location: Providence, RI
Job date: Thu, 04 Aug 2022 04:58:51 GMT