Job ID 123016
#Evening #Custodian #Chelsea
Evening Custodian – New Chelsea
Kansas City Public Schools
$14.93 – 17.85 per hour
TITLE: Evening Custodian
LOCATION: New Chelsea Elementary
The Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools (KCKPS) is a nationally recognized urban school district that serves approximately 22,000 students and 60+ different languages are spoken in the homes of our students. KCKPS is home to Sumner Academy, the #6 highest rated High School in the Nation and #1 High School in Kansas according to the US News rankings.
With Head Start/preschools, 28 elementary schools, 7 middle schools, and 5 college and career academies/high schools, we are the fifth largest district in the state of Kansas and our student population is approximately 51% Hispanic, 27% African American, 11% White, and 7% Asian. To serve our students, the district employs approximately 4,000 employees including more than 1,600 teachers.
The job of Custodian is done for the purpose of providing custodial services at assigned site; ensuring an attractive, sanitary and safe environment for students, staff and visitors; performing a variety of special cleaning operations; and assisting in preparing facilities for classroom activities and campus events.
- Assists with site snow removal on sidewalks, docks, and immediate building perimeter for the purpose of ensuring access and safety.
- Informs students and other site personnel for the purpose of providing information and direction regarding activities, safety issues and/or proper maintenance of facilities and equipment.
- Monitors students and staff in and around work areas (e.g. helps staff with loading and unloading of vehicles as needed; monitors activity in restrooms, grounds, halls, and lunch rooms, etc.) for the purpose of preventing injuries and ensuring site safety.
- Performs building maintenance tasks (e.g. waxes/buffs/vacuums floors as needed, removes trash, pulls out bleachers, sanitizes areas after student accidents, changes filters and lights when needed, mows sports fields, maintains high school pools, checks/maintains chemical levels in chillers and boilers, etc.) for the purpose of completing and/or facilitating summer construction.
- Prepares site for daily operations (e.g. during school hours and after school special events, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring facilities are operational and hazard free.
- Responds to inquiries from staff, students, parents, and/or visitors for the purpose of providing information, taking appropriate action and/or directing to appropriate personnel for resolution.
- Responds to immediate safety and/or operational concerns (e.g. facility damage, vandalism, alarms, etc.) for the purpose of taking appropriate action or notifying appropriate personnel for resolution.
- Secures facilities and grounds (e.g. opens doors in morning, locks down doors after everyone is in the building, monitors metal detectors at high school and middle school, documents and runs fire drills, etc.) for the purpose of minimizing property damage, equipment loss and/or potential liability, and ensuring safety of building staff and students.
- Supports other site maintenance staff (e.g. grounds, trades, etc.) for the purpose of completing site custodial activities.
- Attends unit meetings, in-service training, workshops, etc. for the purpose of gathering information required to perform job functions.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
- Understand written procedures, write routine documents, and speak clearly; and analyze situations to define issues and draw conclusions.
- Specific Knowledge based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: methods of industrial cleaning; safety practices and procedures; and knowledge of chemicals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Job related experience is desired.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
COMMUNICATION/ORGANIZATION: Maintains communication with school personnel/district staff.
Utilizes existing technology effectively in the performance of duties.
Performs other related work as required.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to perform multiple tasks with a potential need to upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Flexibility is required to work with others; defined processes; and operate equipment using a variety of standardized methods. Ability is also required to work with a diversity of individuals; work with specific, job-related data; and utilize a variety of job-related equipment. Problem solving with data requires following prescribed guidelines; and problem solving with equipment is limited to moderate.
LANGUAGE SKILLS are required to perform multiple tasks with a potential need to upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skill based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: operating equipment used in industrial maintenance including electrical cleaning equipment, common tools, etc.; adhering to safety practices; and communication with co-workers, students, staff and visitors.
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform basic math, including calculations using fractions, percents, and/or ratios; understand written procedures, write routine documents, and speak clearly; and analyzing situations to define issues and draw conclusions. Specific Knowledge based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of
the job include: methods of industrial cleaning; safety practices and procedures; and knowledge of chemicals.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The usual and customary methods of performing the job functions require the following physical demands: significant lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling frequent climbing and balancing frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling and significant fine finger dexterity. Routinely handles loads weighing up to 50 pounds and occasionally handles loads weighing up to 100 pounds or more. Generally the job requires 0% sitting, 50% walking, and 50% standing. The job is performed under some temperature extremes and under conditions with some exposure to risk of injury and/or illness.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud and is a standard acceptable level for this environment. Is directly responsible for students’ safety, work output and well-being.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, peers, parents and community; ability to speak clear and concisely in written or oral communication.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: 261 day duty year
SALARY: $14.93 – $17.85
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt, Hourly
REPORT TO: Head Custodian, Building Administrator
EVALUATION: Performance of this position will be evaluated in accordance with the provisions of the Board’s policy on Evaluation and Professional Personnel.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. The individual currently holding this position performs additional duties and additional duties may be assigned.
Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer. KCKPS does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, disability or any other factors that cannot be lawfully considered in its programs and activities as required by all applicable laws and regulations.
This job description has been approved by all levels of management:
Employee signature below constitutes employee’s understanding of the requirements, essential functions and duties of the position.
Job Title : Evening Custodian – New Chelsea
Primary Location : New Chelsea Elementary
Salary Range : $14.93 – $17.85 / Per Hour
Shift Type : Full-Time
Chelsea, Manhattan, NY
Fri, 24 Jun 2022 00:11:36 GMT