Job title: Full-Time – Health Unit Coordinator ED
#FullTime #Health #Unit #Coordinator
Job description: Description
Join Our Community!
ANCC Magnet designated UPMC St. Margaret is currently hiring a Full-Time Evening Health Unit Coordinator to support our Emergency Department
UPMC is dedicated to providing each patient with the right care, in the right way, at the right time, every time. Our Health Unit Coordinators are essential partners in that mission, enhancing the patient experience at UPMC with positivity and integrity. Join us as we provide Life Changing Medicine to our community.
Shift/Hours: We are looking for a candidate to work Monday through Friday from 7:00AM – 11PM. Flexible shifts!!
- Greets all patients, family members, visitors and staff members.
- Assists with all communications regarding the department, accurately updates and maintains patient flow process and coordinate patient tests and procedures.
- Maintains par levels for designated supplies and forms including down time folders.
- Rounds through family lounge to assure proper items are stocked and room is maintained.
- Reconciles charges accordingly including but not limited to custom braces and CRRT.
- Performs unit audits as directed.
- Initiates quiet time or monitors noise level.
- Strictly adheres to all policies and practices relative to patient care and hospital related information.
- Adheres to HIPAA and blocked policies.
- Complies with safety policies and procedures including standard precautions.
- Performs assigned work in a timely and productive manner.
- Maintains accurate unit communication including, but not limited to, promptly answering telephones, activating the paging system, facilitating timely faxing, and distributing patient and unit mail.
- Greets and assists visitors, physicians and other staff members.
- Utilizes hospital information systems, including but not limited to eRecord, MARS, Medipac, Bedboard, and Teletracking.
- Updates Bedboards per unit standards and communicates changes to appropriate staff as needed.
- Enters and communicates physician orders timely and accurately.
- Maintains the medical record and patient chart according to established policy.
- Assures that patient identification plate is correct and that patient identification labels are available at all times.
- Coordinates other unit activities including, but not limited to scheduling of tests and procedures, scheduling patient transports, completing errands, maintaining appropriate logs and filing reports appropriately.
- Maintains office equipment including, but not limited to, computers, telephones, refrigerator temperatures, printers, and fax machines. Submits repair requests to the appropriate departments and follows up as needed.
- Reports Bedboard discrepancies to Bed Flow Coordinator, or appropriate person.
- Establishes appropriate and effective communication strategies.
- Establishes professional and respectful interpersonal relationships.
- Suggests and supports changes within the department.
- Assumes responsibility for assignments and views problems as challenges.
- Demonstrates awareness of how one’s own behavior impacts the efficient functioning of the department.
- Constructively receives feedback and direction.
- Identifies and communicates learning needs to the unit director.
- Takes action to improve knowledge, skills and performance.
- Serves as a resource for staff and other disciplines.
- Serves as a preceptor for new staff members.
- Prior to performing new or challenging tasks, requests assistance and reviews relevant policies and procedures.
- Requests assistance in planning and prioritizing activities as needed.
- Participates in self-review as requested by the unit director.
- Participates in project and committee work.
High school diploma or equivalent.Knowledge of medical terminology and computer applications.
Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
Completion of a Certified Health Unit Secretary course preferred.
In the course of duties may be asked to distribute medications to the nurse at the bedside.
Access to medications is limited to the distribution of the medication to the nurse.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
- Act 34
- UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
COVID-19 Vaccination Information
Individuals hired into this role must comply with UPMC’s COVID vaccination requirements upon beginning employment with UPMC. Refer to the COVID-19 Vaccination Information section at the top of this page to learn more.
More than just competitive pay and benefits, package cares for you in all areas of life — because we believe that you’re at your best when receiving the support you need: professional, personal, financial, and more.
At UPMC, we’re driven by shared values that guide our work and keep us accountable to one another. Our Values of Quality & Safety, Dignity & Respect, Caring & Listening, Responsibility & Integrity, Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive, positive experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.
Current UPMC employees must apply in
Expected salary: $15.3 – 23.36 per hour
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Job date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 06:01:13 GMT