City of Las Cruces
Job title: Lifeguard
Company: City of Las Cruces
Job description: Nature of Work
Monitor activities and ensure the safety of patrons at aquatic facilities.
Position performs twenty (20) percent inside and eighty (80) percent outside in pool facilities with exposure to all types of weather conditions. Frequent exposure to sun, heat, noise, chemical and mechanical hazards, dust, and pollen. Occasional exposure to electrical hazards, fumes, odors, gases and poor ventilation.
Moderately physical work with frequent climbing, crouching and pushing/pulling up to thirty (30) pounds for a distance of thirty (30) meters twice a day. Lifting up to fifty (50) pounds from floor level and carrying thirty (30) feet three (3) times a day. Ability to lift arms above shoulder level. Sufficient clarity of speech, hearing, or other communication capabilities, vision or other powers of observation, manual dexterity, and personal mobility and physical reflexes sufficient to effectively and efficiently perform essential job functions.
Work Situation Factors
Position involves competing demands, performing multiple tasks, working to deadlines, shift work and working extended hours to meet work requirements, and responding to customer issues. Regular attendance is an essential function of the job to ensure continuity of services. Position is subject to drug testing in accordance with applicable State and Federal regulations and City of Las Cruces policies.
FIRST CONSIDERATION MAY BE GIVEN TO CURRENT CITY OF LAS CRUCES EMPLOYEES WHO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS.
Meeting or exceeding the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an invitation to participate in the process.
This posting will be used to hire several part-time, contract, non-exempt positions.
This position is not graded.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Patrols and monitors aquatic areas, facilities, and the activities of participants to prevent accidents; communicates and enforces rules and regulations regarding unsafe actions, areas, and state health codes to promote safety of all participants.
- Responds to emergency situations to rescue patrons in physical distress, administers first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) as required and necessary.
- Prepares lesson plans, organizes, and conducts beginning and advanced level swim classes for individuals of all ages in accordance with established policies, procedures, and regulations in areas such as lifesaving, swimming, and diving to meet established goals regarding aquatic and recreational programming.
- Conducts and distributes survey material on related programs to participants to assess program satisfaction.
- Prepares and presents various special and recurring reports, forms, and logs to provide consistent, accurate, and timely information to appropriate staff.
- Makes recommendations in program placement and participates in special events to facilitate participant engagement and effective use of available resources.
- Oversees and monitors the maintenance, condition, and safety of facilities and equipment to ensure proper operations and report issues of concern to appropriate staff.
- Ensures necessary supplies and equipment are available and in proper condition for use.
No specific educational requirement. Swimming proficiency is required and must be demonstrated. Must be at least sixteen (16) years of age at the time of hire for temporary positions; first consideration will be given to those that are eighteen (18) years of age or older. (Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age to be hired for full-time, or part-time, regular positions in accordance with City of Las Cruces policy.)
A combination of education, experience, and training may be applied in accordance with City of Las Cruces policy. Classes in basic chemistry, and water safety instructor training may be preferred.
Lifeguard training, Standard First Aid, and CPR certification must be obtained within two (2) weeks of hire date.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Considerable Knowledge of: principles, practices, and techniques of effective lifeguarding, first aid, and CPR techniques; occupational and environmental safety and health hazards, and safety practices and procedures; relevant equipment, systems, policies, and procedures to promote effective operations for the protection of people, data, property, and the organization; effective customer service, communication, and techniques for appropriate interaction with staff and patrons; records management principles and record keeping practices; modern office equipment, business and personal computers, business office software applications, and report generation; City organization, operations, policies and procedures to effectively perform the required functions and duties of the position.
Ability to: maintain constant alertness and effectively respond to emergency situations; assess and prioritize multiple tasks, projects, and demands to meet deadlines and provide timely and effective customer service; ensure appropriate levels of customer service to achieve expectations and meet objectives; read, understand, and assure compliance with a variety of policies, procedures, rules, and regulations governing related activities, programs, and functions; safely operate related facility and pool tools and equipment; firmly and impartially communicate, advise, and enforce facility and program rules and regulations; compile applicable information and maintain accurate records; communicate appropriately and effectively in verbal and written forms; prepare and present accurate and reliable documentation and reports; review documents and extract relevant information; establish and maintain effective and appropriate working relationships with employees and the public; operate standard office equipment and timely and accurately enter data using a personal computer with basic and specialized software applications; present a positive image; take initiative and exercise sound independent judgment within established procedural guidelines to ensure achievement of goals and objectives.
Skills in: techniques of effective observation and attention to detail to effectively monitor patrons and facility conditions; the application of lifesaving techniques and swimming; efficient and effective use of related equipment, tools, and techniques required to successfully perform the functions of the position; maintaining complete and accurate records; performing basic reading, writing and mathematical calculations; using independent judgment and personal initiative; operating a personal computer with installed generic and specialized software; assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and demands to meet established goals.
Expected salary: $17.4 per hour
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Job date: Sun, 08 May 2022 03:49:52 GMT