Job title: Maintenance Worker
Company: City of South Miami
Job description: General Summary
Skilled and semi-skilled manual work in street signs, street repair, striping, sidewalk repair, drains and catch basin maintenance and construction, and in the operation of light equipment.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED & EXERCISED
Works under the general supervision of the Street Maintenance Supervisor. General and specific assignments are received and work is performed with some latitude for the use of independent judgment in the selection of work methods and procedures subject to inspection for compliance with desired results. Exercises no supervision.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
– Performs a variety of duties in the care and maintenance of streets, street medians and other public areas.
– Performs periodic field checks of constructed streets, sidewalks and drywells to ensure conformance with City requirements and specifications.
– Participates in the construction and repair of streets, curbs, gutters and sidewalks.
– Participates in excavating and grading.
– Participates in oiling, asphalt spreading, patching and repair or ruts and low spots in streets.
– Participates in assignments such as digging drainage ditches, loading and unloading landfill, cleaning waterways, bridge maintenance and repair.
– Operates heavy duty equipment such as grader, pay loader, bucket truck, backhoe, dump truck, tractor, roller, sweeper, sewer cleaner.
– All other duties as required.
Supervision Received and Exercised
General assignments and work methods are prescribed in detail and work is usually performed subject to close supervision and inspection.
Essential Job Functions
×Performs a variety of gardening duties such as:placing sod, sowing seed, transplanting, cultivating, and weeding.
×Cuts grass with a small mower, gives general care to lawns parkways, streets, and alleys.
×Assists in pruning, fertilizing, and general care of shrubs, trees, and grass.
×Waters various plant materials.
×Cleans sprinkler heads, uses a variety of hand tools and hand help power equipment.
×Loads and unloads trucks.
×Digs levels and spreads fill, rock and sand.
×Participates in the maintenance, cleaning, and repair of streets, and other city facilities and installations.
×Cleans and washes cars and other automotive equipment.
×Must be willing to work weekends.
× Performs other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abililties
Minimum Qualifications Required – – High School Diploma or GED equivalent preferred.
– Minimum three (3) years experience in the skilled repair of street construction required.
– Valid Florida Drivers License and CDL Class B Certification required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities – -Thorough understanding of the methods, materials and tools in construction is required.
-Thorough knowledge and understanding of construction and maintenance of streets, sidewalks, storm drains and right of ways.
– Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade and proper use of tools and machinery is essential.
– Must possess the ability to diagnose and correct problems detected in machinery.
– Ability to maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers and appointed officials.
The City of South Miami provides equal employment and volunteer opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment or volunteer work without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the City of South Miami complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.