MCE Social Capital
Job title: Portfolio Internship
Company: MCE Social Capital
Job description: Internship start date and duration
- The intern should be able to start immediately, and we would ideally prefer the internship to last until the end of March 2023.
- Minimum weekly hours: 10.
- Possibility of extension for a summer internship.
- Possibility of full-time position with the Portfolio team.
Support debt finance transactions:
- Work with existing network to develop pipeline of deals.
- Initiate Initial Contact with prospective investees and assess whether they meet MCE’s investment criteria.
- Gather documentation from companies and complete Initial Assessment for review and approval by Portfolio Managers, Director of Investments and Risk, and Chief Investment Officer. This includes financial, operational and impact metrics.
- Write and present Initial Assessments to the Loan Committee.
- Support Portfolio Managers in preparing term sheet, gathering due diligence material, building financial models and ad-hoc analyses during the due diligence process, and prepare questions to ask prospective partners.
- Assist Portfolio Managers in preparing and writing investment memoranda for final Loan Committee review.
We are looking for individuals with a “can do” attitude, who are passionate about supporting businesses in developing countries. The candidates are able to work in a dynamic environment, have entrepreneurial drive, an analytical mind with extreme attention to detail, and pride in the quality of their work. Our approach to work, whether with colleagues, partners or clients, is cooperative.
In addition, the following qualifications are necessary:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Ideally two years of full-time professional experience in credit analysis or financial analysis.
- Fluency in English. Spanish, French or Russian a plus.
- Strong understanding of financial accounting: must be able to quickly analyze financial statements, draw conclusions, and produce questions.
- Comfortable talking to CEOs and entrepreneurs in developing countries.
- Thorough knowledge of Excel.
- Proactive and detail-oriented.
In-person, San Francisco, CA (US work authorization required).
Compensation & Benefits
$25 an hour.
How to Apply:
Send cover letter and resume to Carolyn Han – with “Portfolio Internship” in the subject line.
Deadline: August 31, 2022.
Only applicants who meet the requirements will be contacted.
MCE Social Capital (MCE) is a nonprofit impact investing firm that invests flexible capital in enterprises committed to generating sustainable livelihoods, with a focus on women and environmental and climate action, to allow these enterprises to scale and better serve their customers, their employees, and their communities. Since 2006, MCE has disbursed over $250 million in debt capital to 140 institutions in 55 countries throughout the developing world.
MCE manages two investment portfolios:
- Small and Growing Businesses that create jobs, help smallholder farmers improve productivity and income, and facilitate clean water and energy. MCE addresses critical market gaps by providing catalytic loans of $100k to $2 million to support small and growing businesses in the “missing middle”.
- Inclusive Finance, investing in microfinance institutions and other financial service providers that help low-income households gain access to credit, savings accounts, insurance, and business education. MCE provides loans of up to $4 million.
The work will include at least two regions of the world and working with two Portfolio Managers through the investment process.
Expected salary: $25 per hour
Location: San Francisco, CA
Job date: Thu, 04 Aug 2022 04:06:20 GMT