Job title: Professional Staff Nurse, BSN – Peri-Anesthesia, UPMC Community General
#Professional #Staff #Nurse #BSN #PeriAnesthesia #UPMC #Community #General
Job description: Description
Sign on Bonus!
This position is eligible for a generous sign-on bonus! Sign-On Bonus Details:
$15,000 sign-on bonus available for experienced nurses with at least 1 year of RN experience!
Are you a Nurse who is passionate about delivering the best care possible? Do you want to make a difference in the lives of your patients? Answer your calling while building your career at UPMC. We offer various opportunities for personal skill-building, professional development, and continued education. If you’re ready to take on new challenges, explore this opportunity with us today!
The Perianesthesia department at UPMC Community Osteopathic offers the opportunity to use critical care skills in a supportive, controlled environment, while also providing evidence-based, holistic nursing care to a diverse population of patients. Our team of nurses’ work together to address the needs of orthopedic, urologic, weight-loss, breast care, gynecologic, and general surgery patients.
Nurses in the Perianesthesia department rotate to three areas: Pre-op, PACU, and Phase II giving the staff a diverse and stimulating work environment. Our departments are open from 5:00 am to 11:30pm, Monday thru Friday, with limited overnight, weekend and holiday on-call coverage.
This position allows for advancement of your career through multiple avenues including certification, committee involvement, nursing research projects and My Nursing Career Ladder. The Perianesthesia management team fosters a healthy work environment by supporting an active social committee, shift flexibility and team building activities.
The Professional Staff Nurse is a Registered Nurse and a member of the care delivery team. The Professional Staff Nurse is responsible to set the standards for the level and quality of care. The Professional Staff Nurse has responsibility, authority and accountability for the provision of nursing care. The Professional Staff Nurse manages and provides patient care activities for a group of patients and their families through the application of independent judgment, communication and collaboration with all team members. The role of the Professional Staff Nurse encompasses leadership, partnership, collaboration and supervision. The Professional Staff Nurse establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with physicians, other health care providers, patients and their families, to achieve desired patient outcomes throughout the continuum of care. The Professional Staff Nurse demonstrates a commitment to the community and to the nursing profession.
- Actively participates in department or unit-specific quality improvement efforts. Identifies opportunity for quality improvement to colleagues and management. Takes personal responsibility in improving patient satisfaction with the quality of care and service. Utilizes research and evidence-based practice to support improvement in clinical care: identifies research issues or articles related to clinical specialty or areas of interest, discusses opportunities for quality improvement at multidisciplinary rounds, and influences patients’ plans of care.
- Applies the nursing process within the framework of Relationship Based Care to create a healing environment. Formulates daily goals and a plan of care for patients that involves the patient as partner and considers the individual needs of the patient in a holistic manner. Demonstrates critical thinking in the identification of clinical, social, safety, psychological and spiritual issues for the patient care within an episode of care. Practices solid communication skills, and is able to articulate and translate the patient’s condition to other care providers and to negotiate and make recommendations for changes in patient care and unit practices. Patient documentation is comprehensive and promotes communication between caregivers. Incorporates national professional organization as well as business unit and health system’s goals to improve patient safety, quality and satisfaction. Creates a caring and compassionate patient focused experience by building healing relationships with patients, families and colleagues.
- Develops and maintains productive working relationships internally and externally by demonstrating accountability for actions, enthusiasm, motivation and commitment to patients and colleagues. Demonstrates an understanding of cultural differences and holds peers accountable for healthy relationships. Maintains a conscious balance between work and personal life. Models safe work hours, time management and healthy lifestyle. Communicates with peers and management any safety hazards identified in the workplace.
- Demonstrates accountability for professional development that improves the quality of professional practice and the quality of patient care. Actively participates in unit-based shared governance, goal setting and supports the change and transition process to improve quality of care and the practice environment. Serves as a highly engaged and full partner on the care team and responds willingly to care team member needs for assistance and partnership. Participates in work that improves patient care and the professional practice environment. Adapts to change and demonstrates flexibility with the change process.
- Demonstrates knowledge of adult learning principles (and/or teaching children if applicable) and applies in teaching of patients, families, students and new staff. Provides detailed and appropriate teaching to patients and families to effectively guide them through the episode of care as well as transition to another level of care and/or home. Supports the development of students, new staff and colleagues, may serve as a preceptor. Creates an environment of open dialogue, inquiry and continuous development by asking for feedback and improving practice.
The individual must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care and/or interact appropriately to the ages of the patients served by his/her assigned unit as specified below. They must also demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient’s status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient’s requirements relative to his/her age-specific needs and to provide the care needs as described in the department policy and procedures.Minimum six months experience.BSN preferred.Ability to establish and maintain positive, caring relationships with executives, managers, physicians, non-physician providers, ancillary and support staff, other departments, and patients/families.Ability to work productively and effectively within a complex environment, handle multiple/changing priorities and specialized equipment.Good clinical judgment with critical thinking, analytical and problem solving abilities required as related to various aspects of patient care.Critical thinking skills necessary to exercise and to lead others in application of the nursing process.Mobility and visual manual dexterity. Physical stamina for frequent walking, standing, lifting and positioning of patients.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
UPMC approved national certification preferred.Current licensure as a Registered Professional Nurse either in the state where the facility is located or in a state covered by a licensure compact agreement with the state where the facility is located.CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
Clearances must be dated within 90 days.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Registered Nurse (RN)
- Act 33 with renewal
- Act 34 with renewal
- Act 73 FBI Clearance with renewal
- UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
COVID-19 Vaccination Information
Individuals hired into this role must comply with UPMC’s COVID vaccination requirements upon beginning employment with UPMC. Refer to the COVID-19 Vaccination Information section at the top of this page to learn more.
More than just competitive pay and benefits, package cares for you in all areas of life — because we believe that you’re at your best when receiving the support you need: professional, personal, financial, and more.
At UPMC, we’re driven by shared values that guide our work and keep us accountable to one another. Our Values of Quality & Safety, Dignity & Respect, Caring & Listening, Responsibility & Integrity, Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive, positive experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.
Current UPMC employees must apply in
Expected salary: $34.25 – 45.96 per hour
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Job date: Tue, 02 Aug 2022 22:46:48 GMT