Job ID 123006
#Senior #Application #Developer
Senior Application Developer
County of Santa Clara
$169804.95 – 206402.56 per year
Under general supervision, to lead and manage application development projects; to design, code, test, implement and support application software assigned to either development or support functions; to write new programs and/or supports upgrades, maintenance or issue resolution to existing programs.
– Join a Culture of Growth and Well-Being –
Technology Services and Solutions (TSS) is the County of Santa Clara’s
primary information technology solutions provider. Working with other County
departments and local government customers, TSS develops innovative,
cost-effective technology solutions that aim to enhance the quality of life for
the residents of Santa Clara County. TSS is where technical creativity thrives.
Our employees are our most valuable asset, and the success of our organization
depends on each one. We believe that happy employees are the most creative
and productive, so it’s essential that our employees find fulfillment in what
they do. To encourage growth, we provide learning and development
opportunities. We also understand the significance of work-life balance
and offer a hybrid work schedule. This culture of growth and
well-being makes TSS a great place to work. Learn
more about us by visiting our .
Please note: This recruitment is scheduled to include a written examination; the examination will be conducted online through a secure third party. The week of July 18th test information will be sent via the email address attached to your application. (This date is tentative and subject to change). There is a short pre-test set up step to be completed, prior to taking the exam.
COVID-19 Risk Tier – Lower Risk #INDTSS
- Provides leadership and/or system process expertise and recommendations for software solutions;
- Participates in discussions with of software architecture with architects around standards and practices and consults with vendor as needed;
- Trains lower level developers in design principles and optimization techniques and recommends training programs targeting specific areas;
- Leads application development projects to including planning, assigning, scheduling and reviewing the work of assigned lower level developers;
- Leads application project planning processes, including identifying development tasks, efforts and timelines, and provides progress reports and posts progress in application development tracking tools such as VSTS, Jira, or other;
- Reviews deployment plans and schedules the installation of new modules, upgrades and fixes to the production environment;
- Suggests fixes to issues by doing a thorough analysis of root cause and impact of the defect;
- Evaluates existing applications and platforms and provides recommendations for improving application performance by conducting gap analysis, identifying feasible alternative solutions, and assisting in the scope of modifications;
- Troubleshoots existing information systems to identify errors or deficiencies, and identifies alternative and/or innovative solutions to technical problems;
- Interfaces with the Business Analyst and/or business representative to determine the requirements for the development of or maintenance to application(s);
- Designs, develops/codes and integrates software solutions based on business requirements and using a disciplined development process;
- Reviews modules for quality assurance;
- Develops, executes, and documents unit test plans;
- Provides daily support with resolution of escalated tickets and ongoing maintenance of applications;
- Makes modules production-ready by moving them to libraries, completing forms, following procedures, completing version control documents, etc.;
- Documents functions and changes to new or modified modules, test activities/results and other areas such as error handling and backup/recovery procedures;
- Supports and participates in the software deployment process for new modules, upgrades and fixes to the production environment;
- Evaluates new application packages and tools and perform research on best practices;
- May be assigned as a Disaster Service Worker, as required;
- Performs other related duties as required.
Sufficient education, training, and experience to demonstrate the possession and direct application of the following knowledge and abilities:
Training and Experience Note:
Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in Information Systems or Computer Science or other related field,
and Six (6) years programming/systems and analysis experience, three (3) years of which is at the level comparable to the County’s Application Developer classification.
Training and experience equivalent to the possession of a Bachelor’s degree. Relevant analytical, administrative, lead, supervisory or management experience that includes interpreting rules and regulations, gathering data and formulating recommendations, and report writing can substitute for education on a year-for-year basis;
and Eight (8) years programming/systems and analysis experience, three (3) years of which is at the level comparable to the County’s Application Developer classification.
- Ability to travel to alternate locations in the course of work.If driving, possession of a valid California Driver’s License prior to appointment and the ability to qualify for and maintain a County driver authorization.
- Depending on the position, related certifications may be desirable or required.
- Depending on the position, knowledge of one or more specific programming languages may be required.
- Principles of staff leadership;
- Deployment planning and scheduling of installations;
- Documentation of functions;
- Departmental and enterprise level business needs;
- Relational databases, middleware or object-oriented analysis;
- Business requirements for the development of or maintenance to application(s);
- Production operations development;
- Methods for troubleshooting information systems;
- Evaluation of applications and how to provide recommendations for improvement;
- Application project planning processes;
- Best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations;
- Multiple programming languages at a high level;
- Advanced programming techniques;
- Multiple principles and techniques of programming, including programming languages and development tools;
- Business system applications and customer needs;
- Principles and practices of technical problem solving;
- Principles, practices, and techniques of customer service;
- Principles, practices and current trends of project and technical documentation;
- Business application, program analysis and design;
- Requirements analysis and documentation;
- Software training techniques;
- General theory and practices of business communication;
- System development life cycle concepts;
- Basic software quality assurance control;
- Several programming languages and development tools to build applications of medium to high complexity.
- Identify and implement necessary changes related to production operations;
- Document functions and changes
- Provide technical guidance and lead others;
- Schedule installations and upgrades;
- Ensure modules are production-ready;
- Translate departmental and enterprise level business needs into needed functional/technical requirements;
- Identify errors or deficiencies, and identify alternatives and/or innovative solutions to technical problems;
- Evaluate applications and provide recommendations for improvement;
- Define problems and recommend alternative solutions;
- Understand information systems and methodologies;
- Make oral presentations to technical and non-technical audience;
- Read, interpret, and apply information from complex technical publications and documentation;
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Promote and maintain a team environment;
- Organize, prioritize, and plan projects, and schedule multi-activity workloads;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal support units and customers;
- Gather, analyze and present data;
- Analyze, research and develop technical solutions to meet business requirements;
- Develop and evaluate technology alternatives for resolving customer business problems;
- Adhere to standards and procedures for development and documentation.
Benefit and Retirement information may vary from bargaining unit to bargaining unit. Due to changes in State Law, current pension provisions described in the union contracts are not automatically applied. Specific pension benefits for new hires who start on or after January 1, 2013 may be different than indicated in the union contracts.
San Jose, CA
Fri, 24 Jun 2022 04:43:50 GMT