Job ID 123227
#Specialty #Laboratory #Technologist
Specialty Laboratory Technologist
$23.82 – 38.96 per hour
UPMC Shadyside is hiring a Specialty Laboratory Technologist to support the Special Stem Cell Laboratory! In this role, you will join a fast-paced, testing and manufacturing lab that produces life-saving products to the same high standards employed by pharmaceutical manufacturers. Additionally, this role includes a perk that most labs do not offer: the ability to interact with the patients during cell collection and transplant. This unique perk will allow you to put a face to the diligent work that you provide each and every day.
We don’t just take care of our patients – we take care of our team too. In addition to our competitive benefits package, you can expect:
The opportunity to join a specialized lab with a small, tight-knit team that works closely together to make an impact on life-changing medicine.
An AWARD-WINNING WORKPLACE with endless opportunities.
UPMC was ranked #1 for “Best Places to Work for Women & Diverse Managers” by Diversity MBA Magazine’s: 50 Out Front Companies for two years in a row.
Apply today to find out where your career can take you!
Provide authority, responsibility and accountability for the accurate performance of laboratory testing of an advanced nature. These tests are used in the diagnosis and treatment of patients and in the evaluation of a patient’s response to treatment. Apply competent clinical knowledge to achieve accurate clinical testing which leads to quality patient care outcomes and develops and perform clinical procedures using highly sophisticated techniques and advanced instrumentation.
- Skill: Quality control/quality assurance. Core Competency: Perform all required QC and document. Advanced Competency: Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems. Ability to cover for supervisor.
- Collect background information for testing/experiments; perform test set-up; prepare instrument, work area, and equipment; ensure validity of test specimens.
- Skill: Cell quantification/flow cytometry. Core Competency: Perform accurate cell counts. Advanced Competency: Ability to troubleshoot instrumentation.
- Maintain detailed laboratory documentation of all experiments performed and related data and submits written reports of test results.
- Communicate information gained from research projects in seminars, conferences, in-services and continuing education meetings; may publish research results.
- Participate in the design and methodology of research and development projects, including how resultant data would best be analyzed.
- Perform all responsibilities according to the philosophy of the UPMC Health System such that the needs of our customers are fulfilled.
- Use reagents and supplies in a cost-effective manner; monitor and maintain an appropriate supply inventory.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of techniques, principles, and instruments and their interrelationships as well as physiological conditions affecting test results.
- Maintain (as possible), calibrate and clean equipment; verify proper function through standardization and controls; troubleshoot and document minor instrumentation problems and repairs.
- Orient and instruct fellows, medical students and other allied health care personnel in regards to laboratory research techniques and methodology and clinical applicability of research theory, practice and finding.
- Remain abreast of developments in medical research and care in order that research conducted continues to be relevant; incorporate advances and innovations as considered appropriate.
- Adhere to established laboratory and hospital policies in areas of procedures, protocols, methods, quality control, quality assurance, safety, compliance and personnel policies.
- Implement all quality controls to ensure test validity; adhere to departmental safety standards in responsibly handling, processing and testing specimens and materials.
- Skill: Data entry/report generation. Core Competency: Enter accurate results into spreadsheets & generate reports. Advanced Competency: Ability to maintain new software applications.
- Prepare multiple and various routine and non-routine clinical laboratory procedures manually or by utilizing automated and semi-automated equipment including highly sophisticated testing devices.
- Assume responsibility for first-line supervision of the section/department on a temporary basis as delegated.
- Skill: Autologous/Allogeneic processing. Core Competency: Perform processings independently. Advanced Competency: Ability to use independent judgment and advanced clinical knowledge to problem solve unanticipated processing problems.
- Skill: Cryopreservation. Core Competency: Perform cryopreservation procedures independently. Advanced Competency: Ability to troubleshoot controlled rate freezers.
- Skill: Quality improvement. Core Competency: Review procedures for accuracy. Advanced Competency: Ability to significantly revise existing procedures. Work with supervisor and lab director to develop, validate, and implement new procedures.
- Skill: Infusions. Core Competency: Perform all infusion procedures independently. Advanced Competency: Ability to problem solve at patient bedside (under pressure).
- Calculate and analyze assay/test results and quality control information utilizing all relevant information including patient histories, formulas or calculations, or computerized data processing. Investigate abnormal results according to established protocols.
- Skill: Consultation. Core Competency: Consult with physicians, principal investigators, nurse coordinators, floor nurses and NMDP with regard to infusion dosages. Advanced Competency: Ability to professionally assist clinical personnel with decision making.
- Interact with all laboratory customers courteously and professionally; responds to telephone inquiries in a timely manner.
- Skill: Liquid nitrogen maintenance. Core Competency: Maintain liquid nitrogen vessels. Advanced Competency: Ability to troubleshoot vessel alarms with enough confidence to take on-call.
- Completion of Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited college/university AND successful completion of a CAHEA accredited Medical Technology program OR;
- Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited college/university with a major in biological, chemical, physical or clinical laboratory science AND categorical certification for the specific specialty by the ASCP OR;
- Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited college/university with a major in biological, chemical, physical, or clinical laboratory science AND at least 2 years experience in a role equivalent to that of a Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) in a clinical laboratory OR;
- Equivalent education and experience as defined by CLIA 88 and PA Bureau of Laboratories for technologists performing high complexity testing.
- 3-5 years of experience as a Medical Technologist preferred.
- Medical terminology knowledge and laboratory information system experience preferred.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
- Act 34
MT (ASCP) certification highly preferred.
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
Individuals hired into this role must comply with UPMC’s COVID vaccination requirements upon beginning employment with UPMC. Refer to the COVID-19 Vaccination Information section at the top of this page to learn more.
More than just competitive pay and benefits, package cares for you in all areas of life — because we believe that you’re at your best when receiving the support you need: professional, personal, financial, and more.
At UPMC, we’re driven by shared values that guide our work and keep us accountable to one another. Our Values of Quality & Safety, Dignity & Respect, Caring & Listening, Responsibility & Integrity, Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive, positive experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.
Current UPMC employees must apply in
Fri, 20 May 2022 23:21:42 GMT